How to use biographies as tools for writing
Biographies of writers are a great source of information about the writing process and the traits young writers should develop.
Biographies of writers provide great insights into the traits and writing process of eminent writers. This information is helpful to children and adolescents interested in writing. Through careful study of biographies, children and adolescents identify the childhood experiences of eminent writers that developed the writers' traits associated with writing. These biographies also reveal the ways these authors engaged in and managed the writing process. Below are the steps to using biographies to find this important information.
Step Three: Reflect on the activities and traits.
As we gathered together, and the students shared what they had found about each author, we compiled the list of authors associated with each trait. As students indicated an author for a trait, they shared the childhood activities the author engaged in that nurtured the trait. After we finished sharing about the authors, we had a group discussion about what activities the students might be interested in doing now, during their own childhoods, to develop traits important to writing.
Possible Biographies to Use
- Sommers, Michael A. (2004) Avi. The Rosen Publishing Group, Inc. New York
- Sweet, Melissa ( 2016) Some Writer! The Story of E.B. White. HMH Books for Young Readers Boston, MA Michael
- Kelly, True Who is Roald Dahl? (2012). Gosset and Dunlap, NY, NY
- Smith, Sean (2001) J. K. Rowling O’Mara Books Limited London, England
- Pollack, Pam and Belviso, Meg (2012) Who is J.K. Rowling. Gossett and Dunlap NY, NY
- Becor R., Margot and Martin, Ann M. (1993) Ann M. Martin: The Story of the author of The Baby-Sitters Club. Scholastic NY, NY
- Gourse, Leslie, Jim Henson Young Puppeteer (2000) Aladin, NY, NY
- Rogers, Sam, The Life of Dr. Seuss: A Biography of Theodor Seuss Geisel Just for Kids! (2013) CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (An Amazon Company) Seattle, WA.
- Cary, Alice. Jean Craighead George (1996) The Learning Works, Inc. Santa Barbara, CA
- Stine, R. L. It Came from Ohio (Revised edition 2015) Scholastic NY, NY.
- Sparks, Barry, Rick Riordan (2013) Morgan Reynolds Publishing Greensboro, NC
- Bailey, Diane. Suzanne Collins (2013) The Rosen Publishing Group, Inc. New York, NY
- Febiny, Sarah Who Was Beatrix Potter? (2015) Penquin Workshop. NY, NY
- Collins, David R and Ritz Karen. Country Artist: A Story About Beatrix Potter (1989) Carolrohda Books, Inc. Minneapolis, MN
- Streissguth, Tom. Science Fiction Pioneer: A Story about Jules Verne (2001) Carolrhoda Books, Inc. Minneapolis, MN
- Cook, Judy and Smith, Laura Lee. Natural Writer: A Story About Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (2001) Carolrohda Books, Inc. Minneapolis, MN
- Peet, Bill, Bill Peet: An Autobiography (1989) Hought Mifflin Company Boston, MA
- McGinty, Alice B. Sharon Creech (2006) The Rosen Publishing Group, Inc., NY, NY.
- McGinty, Alice B Meet Jane Yolen 2003 PowerKids Press (The Rosen Publishing Group) New York, NY.
- Daniel, Susan Lois Lowry 2003 Rosen Central, NY, NY Lois Lowry is noted author of two Newbery Award winners in the 1990’s.
Additional Resources for Writing Instruction